Monday, July 13, 2015

Colorado Ratatouille

Yum
I am not French, but I do enjoy French food. Ratatouille is classic French dish where onions, eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper are stewed over low heat with garlic and herbs. It is fresh and simple because the slow cooking brings out the natural flavor of the vegetables.

Eggplant makes my mouth itch, so I make a variation of ratatouille where I use the veggies I can easily get here in Colorado. I especially love to make this at the end of the summer when the zucchini is abundant.

Colorado Ratatouille

Ingredients:

Ingredients:
Garden Fresh Vegetables

1 tsp  olive oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow summer squash
2 large ripe tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
1 large onion
2 russet potatoes
salt and pepper
dried parsley
dried basil

Directions:

Wash all veggies. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pan. Cut all the veggies in rounds and crush the garlic cloves.

Layer the veggies in the soup pan and add salt, pepper, dried basil, parsley and crushed garlic between the layers. I like to order the veggies with zucchini on the bottom followed by potato, tomato, summer squash, and onion. Then I add some herbs and start again until all the vegetables are used up. I didn't include specific amounts of the dried herbs, salt and pepper because I just sprinkle a little each time.

Layered Vegetables in Soup Pan
Cook it for 2 - 2 1/2 hours over low heat. The vegetables will stew in their own juices and slowly cook. Keep them covered and don't stir them. Check after two hours to see if they are tender. They should break down and soften but you still want the zucchini and squash to retain their shape. If they smell like they are burning lower the heat and add 1/2 cup of water to the pan.

To serve, drizzle with olive oil and add more fresh herbs. I also like to add some vegan parmesan ( I think Go Veggie makes a great parmesan) or nutritional yeast for added flavor.

For 6 servings
Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 227 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
92
Calories from Fat
10
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
1.1g
2%
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
15mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates
19.0g
6%
Dietary Fiber
3.8g
15%
Sugars
4.6g
Protein
3.0g
Vitamin A 4%Vitamin C 70%
Calcium 2%Iron 9%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment