Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Coleslaw

Yum
Like many vegans, I eat a lot of salad. Big chopped salads full of veggies, seeds, fruits, grains, beans and whatever else I have hanging around. I like to mix it up and make different types of salads to get those raw veggies into my diet that are so good for me. This week, I made lentil soup, vegetable korma, indian spiced baked tofu, and parsley-parsnip-potato soup. A cool crunchy salad sounded just right to offset the heat of the other dishes. I love cabbage and decided to make a coleslaw. I consulted Betty Crocker and Bobby Flay and came up with this version of the classic.

Vegan Coleslaw

Ingredients:

1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
4 carrots, grated
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup Vegenaise (or your favorite vegan mayo)
Optional: 1-2 tbsp minced onion or 1/2 tsp onion powder

Directions:

Prep the veggies first by washing and chopping them, or buy a bag of prepped coleslaw as a shortcut. Then toss the cabbage with the carrots and onion. Add the sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt, and black pepper. I like to coat everything with this first. Finally, fold in the Vegenaise and put it in the fridge to chill and let the flavors combine before serving.

For 6 servings, nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 190 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
187
Calories from Fat 
111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
12.4g
19%
Saturated Fat 
0.7g
4%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
357mg
15%
Potassium 
345mg
10%
Total Carbohydrates 
15.5g
5%
Dietary Fiber 
4.2g
17%
Sugars 
10.0g
Protein 
2.1g
Vitamin A 138%Vitamin C 77%
Calcium 7%Iron 4%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment