Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Banana Blueberry Muffins

Yum
I really loved baked goods that contain banana. Banana bread, muffins, and banana oatmeal cookies are often found in my kitchen.  I get really excited when I see bananas starting to brown...and I start dreaming of how I will use them.

This recipe was given to me by my acupuncturist, who shares both my love of baked goods - and my love of eating well. The original recipe was not vegan, so after a few tweaks it is now perfect for me and is one of my favorites.

Banana Blueberry Muffins


Ingredients:

3 tbsp flax meal (ground flax seeds)
1/2 cup water

2 ripe bananas (they develop a lot of flavor as they become over-ripe where the peel is blackening)

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup natural sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup blueberries

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Mix the flax meal with the 1/2 cup of water and stir well. Set aside to let thicken. In another small bowl mash the bananas and set that aside as well.

In your mixing bowl combine the melted coconut oil, the sugar, and the vanilla. To that, add the flax and water mixture as well as the mashed bananas. Stir to combine these wet ingredients. Next, add the dry ingredients which are the oat flour, the whole wheat flour, the baking soda, and the salt. Mix until it is just combined, but don't over-mix. Finally, fold in the blueberries.

Put the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 18 minutes.

For 12 muffins. Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 60 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
135
Calories from Fat 
51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
5.7g
9%
Saturated Fat 
4.0g
20%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
103mg
4%
Potassium 
118mg
3%
Total Carbohydrates 
19.9g
7%
Dietary Fiber 
1.9g
8%
Sugars 
7.2g
Protein 
2.2g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 1%Iron 5%
Nutrition Grade D+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment