Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Instant Kombucha

Yum

I recently tried kombucha and it is my new favorite treat. Kombucha is something I like to drink a few times a week for a refreshing change from my usual water and tea, but it is expensive. Here in Colorado, it is around $3.00 - $4.00 per 15 oz bottle. Even on sale it is still around $2.00, and $5.00 a week for two kombuchas is a lot, to me. So I started looking into making it at home, but am a bit hesitant due to the multi-step process and potential for mold, etc.

So, I came up with an alternative....instant kombucha. It's a kombucha life-hack that I am super excited about. It is quick and easy to make this kombucha copy-cat recipe at home, and is a much cheaper alternative to store bought. I grabbed some 24 oz glass jars that I have cleaned and kept from store bought marinara sauce and used these for my instant kombucha combinations.

Because it is made with apple cider vinegar with "the mother" it still has some health benefits due to the good bacteria it contains. Now, I enjoy this drink and the probiotic benefits more often because I can quickly and easily prepare it at home. I have found it works well to mix up the vinegar, juice, other flavors (like ginger or zest), chia seeds, etc. ahead of time. I like to prep this all on Sunday and then put the jars in the fridge. Then I add the sparkling water right before drinking it, and it works great.



Berry Ingredients:

1 cup fruit juice (I use a cranberry, cherry, blueberry mix)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 12 oz can lemon seltzer water (I use a generic brand that is about $.17 per can)

Ginger Ale Ingredients:

1" piece of ginger, sliced
1 cup apple juice
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 12 oz can lemon seltzer water

Lemon Tea Ingredients:

1 cup brewed and sweetened iced tea
2 tsp lemon juice (add the zest if you are using a fresh lemon)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 12 oz can lemon seltzer water

Directions for all:

Combine the ingredients in a clean jar or bottle and enjoy. Add in zest, chia seeds, or other spices to your taste and enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on tummy health

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kombucha has been consumed for centuries in various parts of the world for its purported health benefits, which include improving gut health, boosting the immune system, and detoxifying the body. However, the scientific evidence for these claims is limited, and more research is needed to determine the true health effects of kombucha.

    ReplyDelete