Friday, August 1, 2014

Sunbutter Banana Muffins

Yum
Sometimes you wonder how a new recipe is going to turn out, and other times you lick the bowl clean and have a pretty good idea. This was one where I was licking the bowl and instantly in love. I had some browning bananas but had never heard of a muffin like this. So I googled my idea, and it turns out that I am late to the party. Peanut butter banana muffins are already a thing; and here I thought I actually invented something. Perhaps I invented the vegan Sunbutter version anyway.

My son is allergic to nuts so Sunbutter is our peanut butter. If you prefer peanut butter, it would sub for the Sunbutter no problem. I have always loved sunflower seeds, so this has not been a problem for me. Seriously, I once ate so many sunflower seeds that my tongue peeled, but that is a different story that takes me back to high school...so let's not go there.

Let's stick with the muffins. They are moist, but with a nice top crust. You can make them plain or add chocolate, because banana, Sunbutter, and chocolate are really good together.

Full disclosure though, Sunbutter has a chemical reaction when baked that turns the product green after 24 hours. It tastes fine, and is fine, but has a green hue. It has something to do with the chlorophyll in the sunflower seeds. I liken it to guacamole. Still very worth the trouble and still very yummy but plan to eat it right away. Although, I will still eat guacamole after it turns brown, so I guess I am not too sensitive about the color of my food. As long as it tastes good, I am happy.

Sunbutter Banana Muffins
Ingredients:

1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup natural sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 large banana mashed
1/2 cup Sunbutter
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine the soy milk and the vinegar in a measuring cup and stir. Then leave this aside to thicken.

Cream together the margarine, sugars and vanilla. Then mash the banana and add it to the margarine-sugar mixture along with the Sunbutter and soured soy milk. Mix this all together until it is well incorporated. Next, sift in the flour, soda and salt. Mix until just combined, but do not over mix. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips if you are adding them. Divide the batter amongst 12 muffin tins. Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray or line them with cupcake papers.

Bake for 22-24 minutes. You want them to be golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted into the middle to come out clean.

Pour yourself a big glass of your favorite non-dairy milk or coffee and enjoy!

For 12 muffins. Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 78 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
313
Calories from Fat 
138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
15.3g
24%
Saturated Fat 
3.4g
17%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
2mg
1%
Sodium 
288mg
12%
Potassium 
102mg
3%
Total Carbohydrates 
39.0g
13%
Dietary Fiber 
2.5g
10%
Sugars 
19.9g
Protein 
5.4g
Vitamin A 7%Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 3%Iron 9%
Nutrition Grade D+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment