Monday, July 21, 2014

Carrot Raisin Salad

Yum
My carrots are doing very well in my garden, and I love to use them in this late summer salad. It is so cool and refreshing, and such a simple dish. For my small family of three, I just make enough for four small servings. We often make this for a side dish when we are grilling. It is also wonderful for potlucks and leftover for lunches.

I used to blog over at Vegan Runners at 2sistersrunning.blogspot.com, but realized that I love posting recipes more than posting about my workouts. I created this new site to focus solely on vegan food. I will continue to post new recipes here, as well as repost some of my favorite recipes from Vegan Runners. This salad is one that I make all the time. I originally posted it in the fall of 2012 on my original blog.

Carrot Raisin Salad
Ingredients:

4 large carrots, shredded
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup Vegenaise (or your favorite vegan mayo)
salt and pepper to taste
apple cider vinegar

Directions:

Wash, peel and shred the carrots into a bowl. Add the raisins, Veganaise, salt and pepper. That is it....super easy, right? Reserve the apple cider vinegar and just add a dash before eating the salad. This really brightens the dish and brings out the flavors. If you add it before eating, it thins out the mayo.

For four servings. Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 98 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
156
Calories from Fat 
82
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
9.1g
14%
Saturated Fat 
0.5g
3%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
136mg
6%
Potassium 
321mg
9%
Total Carbohydrates 
16.7g
6%
Dietary Fiber 
2.2g
9%
Sugars 
10.7g
Protein 
1.0g
Vitamin A 241%Vitamin C 8%
Calcium 3%Iron 3%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment