Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cold Noodle Salad with Sesame Dressing

Yum
I am the only full-time vegan in my house. My husband and son are both very open to vegan food and my son is allergic to dairy and eggs, which means a lot of his food is vegan anyway by necessity.  But they are not committed to a vegan diet, so to be sure I have readily available vegan food for myself, I often cook several dishes on Sunday and eat leftovers throughout the week. This way I am set, no matter what the boys are having or how tired I am after work. It works very well for me. I like to think I am my own Whole Foods Deli, if that makes sense.

So, this salad only makes four servings, because that is the perfect amount for me to have for lunches during the week. If you would like more, then you could double or triple the recipe.

Cold Noodle Salad with Sesame Dressing
Ingredients:

6 oz whole wheat pasta, cooked according to package directions

1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 rib of celery with leaves attached, thinly sliced and leaves minced
1/2 cucumber thinly sliced

2 tbsp vegan mayo - I personally love Vegenaise 
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp Bragg liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1 tbsp minced fresh basil
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp garlic powder
dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:

Cook the pasta in salted water, according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking wash, peel (if necessary) and thinly slice your carrot, celery and cucumber. When the pasta is done, rinse it with cold water to cool it down and stop the cooking process. Put the pasta in a dish with the vegetables.

In a measuring cup mix all the ingredients for the dressing: vegan mayo, sesame oil, vinegar, liquid amines, bail, sesame seeds, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Pour the dressing over the pasta and veggies and mix. Chill the salad until ready to serve.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 198 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
248
Calories from Fat 
82
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
9.1g
14%
Saturated Fat 
1.1g
6%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
72mg
3%
Potassium 
331mg
9%
Total Carbohydrates 
60.8g
20%
Dietary Fiber 
4.9g
20%
Sugars 
3.2g
Protein 
6.4g
Vitamin A 53%Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 5%Iron 10%
Nutrition Grade B-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment