Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pumpkin Flax Oatmeal

Yum
I am starting my pumpkin obsession a bit early this year, but fall itself seems to be coming on fast. I really appreciate all the seasons, but fall just might be my favorite. I love watching the leaves turn, getting out my warmer clothes, and adding an extra blanket to my bed. The seasonal produce is also fantastic right now. My mom's garden is overloaded with cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers. Mine is doing okay too, with the carrots and beets getting pretty big. 

Pumpkin is the ultimate fall flavor though, so I wanted to start enjoying it now to help usher in the season right. I really love pumpkin oatmeal cookies, but figured this would be a healthier way to get my pumpkin fix. This has high fiber, good amount of protein and iron, and a ton of vitamin A. I like to make a batch of this and heat it for breakfast during the work week. 

Pumpkin Flax Oatmeal
Ingredients:

1 cup canned pumpkin (plain - not the pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup water
1 cup soy milk
pinch of salt 
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamom
5 tbsp maple syrup
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
3 tbsp flax seeds

Directions:

Heat the pumpkin, water, soy milk, and salt in a saucepan over low-medium heat. When it starts to simmer, add all the other ingredients (except for the flax seeds). Stir and continue to cook for about two minutes. Take it off the heat and add the flax seeds. That is it...you've got yourself some easy peasy vegan food.

For 5 servings. Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 215 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
286
Calories from Fat 
46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
5.1g
8%
Saturated Fat 
0.8g
4%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
67mg
3%
Potassium 
445mg
13%
Total Carbohydrates 
52.8g
18%
Dietary Fiber 
7.2g
29%
Sugars 
18.2g
Protein 
8.3g
Vitamin A 153%Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 7%Iron 24%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment