Monday, June 20, 2016

Easy Vegan Waffles

Yum

I have been baking vegan goodies for 13 years now. Even though I have only been vegan for 7 1/2 years, my son's food allergies (milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, and fish) led me to vegan baking when he was just a year old. I am actually very grateful for this, as the transition to a fully vegan diet was very easy for me because I had built up a repertoire of vegan recipes by that point.

One of these tried and true recipes is waffles. We have had these consistently over the past 13 years almost weekly. They are the single most requested item from my family. I must credit Linda Coss and her food allergy cookbook with the original recipe, which I have changed slightly to our tastes.

Often we snack on the leftover waffles just plain throughout the day, not toasted or anything. They also freeze well and cook up great after thawing in the microwave (40 seconds or so) and then toasting in a toaster.

To me these say weekend dining to me. I love to make something from scratch that we can linger over and enjoy as part of a Saturday or Sunday morning brunch.

Easy Vegan Waffles


Ingredients:

1 banana (a fairly ripe banana works best-one that is starting to get those black spots on the peel)
1/4 cup natural sugar

1 1/3 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour

cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat your waffle iron and gather all the ingredients.

Start out by mashing a banana in the bottom of your mixing bowl. Then add the sugar and mix it with the banana. Next add all wet ingredients to the banana and sugar (soy milk, vanilla, water, and oil). Stir to combine these well and then add the baking powder to the mix. Stir this in and break up any clumps. It will start to foam and bubble a bit, which is good - that is what you want. Let this bubble for a couple of minutes, until it is foamed up. Then add the salt and the flour and whisk it into the mix. I kind of stir from the bottom and incorporate a bit of the flour at a time. A few lumps are fine, but I try to break up as many as I can.

Finally, spray your waffle iron and cook according to the directions. These are good with Earth Balance Butter and maple syrup.


Product prices and availability are accurate as of Thursday, June 16, 2016, and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.

For 17 - 4 inch waffles. Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 74 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
139
Calories from Fat
34
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.8g
6%
Saturated Fat
0.7g
4%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
47mg
2%
Potassium
249mg
7%
Total Carbohydrates
23.4g
8%
Dietary Fiber
0.9g
4%
Sugars
4.7g
Protein
3.0g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 9%Iron 7%
Nutrition Grade C
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment