Monday, November 30, 2015

Kabocha Squash Pasta with Sage

Yum
What is it about squash and pasta? I don't get why they go so well, but they do! This pasta dish turned out so yummy. Cooking the vegan parmesan with the wine mellowed it, and my husband couldn't get over how "parmesaney" the flavor was. He is not vegan so he has the recent taste of parmesan to compare it to, while my memory has faded.

I know my tastebuds have adjusted, and I much prefer my vegan fare to my memories of animal-sourced ingredients. However, I always get a kick out of a non-vegan embracing a dish like this, as I know their tastebuds have not adjusted to a different way of eating. I love the idea of a vegan dish  that appeals to everyone.

Kabocha Squash Pasta with Sage

Ingredients:

8 oz farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp dried rubbed sage
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups diced oven roasted kabocha squash
1/4 cup vegan white wine
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegan parmesan (I like GoVeggie brand)

Directions:

Oven roast your squash (basically you slice it, drizzle it with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until tender).

Cook pasta according to package directions and drain as soon as the pasta is aldente.

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the diced onion and minced garlic. Let these cook down over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

When the onion and garlic have softened add the sage, salt, pepper and stir to combine. Add the diced squash and let it heat up. Then add the white wine to the pan and let it evaporate. Once the wine has evaporated add the water and vegan parmesan.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment