Monday, January 18, 2016

Chai Quinoa Porridge

Yum
My love affair with quinoa continues…..

Last summer I gave up coffee. I had been doing a lot more yoga, meditation, and overall just trying to relax and pay more attention to my well-being. It occurred to me that I was working pretty hard to slow my heart rate down and mellow out and coffee was working against those goals. As I cut back on coffee, I missed the ritual of a warm drink in the morning and started drinking chai tea (you can get decaf). I love chai's complex flavors and have tried several kinds. Now I occasionally have some coffee, and often have a cup of chai. They are both great flavors and I decided to use the chai flavor profile with my favorite breakfast - quinoa.

Chai Quinoa Porridge


Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/3 - 1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp maple syrup
generous pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup non dairy milk
optional: chopped nuts or seeds

Directions:

Rinse the quinoa and put it in a pan with the two cups of water. Let it boil and then cover and lower to a simmer and let it cook for 15 minutes. When the quinoa is done, take it off the heat and fluff it. Put it in a serving bowl and add the raisins, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.

Serve warm in a bowl with some non dairy milk poured over the top. It is also great with some nuts or seeds sprinkled on top.

For 4 servings. Nutritional info from caloriecount.about.com

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 250 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
270
Calories from Fat
40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
4.4g
7%
Saturated Fat
0.5g
3%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
79mg
3%
Total Carbohydrates
50.2g
17%
Dietary Fiber
4.0g
16%
Sugars
18.7g
Protein
8.4g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 6%Iron 15%
Nutrition Grade C+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment