Friday, October 30, 2015

Pomegranate Spinach Salad

Yum
I posted a recipe this summer for strawberry spinach salad. In that post I talked about how much I love the simple combination of spinach and fruit with a tangy vinegar dressing. So when I saw some spinach at the store that looked really good, I decided to do a fall version of one of my favorite summer tastes. Turns out, I love this version just as much as I did the summer one. I want to try this with mandarin oranges next. I imagine it would be good with other fruits such as an apple or pear diced small. The possibilities are endless.

Pomegranate Spinach Salad

Ingredients:

5 oz spinach

1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds

Directions:

Wash the spinach and tear it into bite sized pieces. Put the spinach in a large bowl.

Next, mix the dressing ingredients which are: onion powder, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk the dressing to get it to completely combine.

I like to coat the spinach before adding the additional ingredients. I found that about two thirds of the dressing was just about right for us. So add some dressing, toss the spinach, and taste. Keep going until it has an amount of dressing that you are happy with. Then add the poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, and pomegranate seeds and give it one more toss before serving.

I also added a bit of nutritional yeast over mine, but it was awesome without.

Serves 4. Nutritional information from caloriecount.about.com

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 52 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
80
Calories from Fat
69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
7.7g
12%
Saturated Fat
1.0g
5%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
320mg
13%
Total Carbohydrates
2.4g
1%
Dietary Fiber
1.1g
5%
Protein
1.6g
Vitamin A 67%Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 6%Iron 7%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment